Sunday 19 June 2011

Wow, I suck at drawing. Okay then.

I’ve just noticed that the cultural leaders responsible for shaping the art world may not actually be reading my blog.

I know! I couldn’t believe it either!

But in any case I might take the opportunity to stop preaching my nihilistic propaganda and just chat about crap that may or may not have anything to do with art.

 I think one of the funniest things about being a kid who likes drawing is the way that people react to your work.  90% of the time someone sees your drawing they will tell you all about how bad they are at drawing. 

“I can’t even draw stick figures.”
This is a phrase that you will hear many times.

Do these people walk up to mathematicians and tell them about how they’ve always been crap at sums?

“I see you scored well on this IQ test, as for me I’m a complete moron.”

Doesn’t happen.

I don’t mean to make fun of this reaction, because these people are obviously paying a compliment, and that’s real nice.  But the question is... 

what do you reply to this with?

The thing is, you can’t agree with them because that’s rude: “Yeah, you totally suck at drawing.” 

You can’t disagree with them because in all likelihood they are correct: “No way, you rule at drawing!”

You can’t change the subject because they’ve just opened it: “Really?  What’s for dinner?”

Often you’ll find yourself spending the next five minutes trying to think up tactful ways of consoling someone about the fact that they do not excel in a field they have no interest in.

I think the only answer is to follow these people around and the next time they read something, jump out from behind a bush and say;
“Wow, you just read that sentence!  I tried reading once, but for some reason I didn't automatically know all the letters, so I quit forever.  Boy, I sure do suck at reading! Why is that????”

Then swiftly run away, cackling like a mad-man.

1 comment:

  1. I think a good response would be to demand to see some samples of their work so you can adequately assess their merit and determine whether the individual in question is telling the truth. Then, if you find their work to be as bad as they say, you should name and shame them.

    Then next time they see someone drawing they'll just say "That's nice" and leave.

    What do they really expect to get out of telling you that they're bad at drawing? Sympathy? A hug? Some pointers? Money?

    It's probably money.

    ReplyDelete